Turmeric has a good cosmetic and medicinal properties. It acts as an antiseptic. It is also used in cooking as a coloring agent with mild fragrance. Turmeric root is divided into 2 parts. The long and lengthier one is used for cooking as well as for medicinal use. The bulgy turmeric part is used in cosmetic use which is referred as kasthuri turmeric [in Tamil].
Turmeric’s medicinal properties
- Mix turmeric powder[used in cooking] and grounded black pepper corns in a cup of milk. Drink it at night time regularly. This will get relief from cold, sore throat and cough.
- Add turmeric powder[used in cooking] in boiled water and stir well. And when it gets warmed, gargle 4 or 5 times. This will cure throat infection.
- Pimple treatment: Mix turmeric with grounded neem leaf and apply on the pimple. Wash after it gets dried completely. Repeat it twice or thrice which will get rid from pimples in face.
- Insect bite: Mix turmeric [kasthuri turmeric] with water and apply onto the swollen areas. This will reduce the swelling and itching.
- Dark patches and blemishes: Apply turmeric paste on the affected areas regularly. This will reduce the blemishes and dark spots occurred due to pimple or skin allergy.