By lothi on Jun 20, 2008 in Nutritious food recipe, Recipes
Rasam contains many spices which are beneficial to health. Rasam is prepared mainly with the juices of tamarind or tomato with pepper and other spices. Soups are usually known to act as an appetizer, similarly the rasam when had at the beginning of the meal is said to increase the appetite. But in south usually it is had at last which helps for easy digestion.
Rasam can be had when a person is sick with fever with tasteless in the mouth. Having rasam will increase the appetite and thereby the spices in rasam cures cold. In the olden days, it was prepared mainly with black pepper and tamarind, garlic. There are different kinds of rasam depending on the ingredients.
- Whole Tamarind : lemon sized ball (Soaked in hot water)
- Cumin seeds : 1tbsp
- Whole garlic : 4 to 5 (unpeeled)
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves : 3 to 4
- Whole Pepper : 8 to 9
- Tomato : 1(chopped)
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
For Seasonings :
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Whole red chilies : 2
Method Of Preparation :
- Extract the pulp of tamarind by soaking it in hot water.
- Now grind all the ingredients (toamtoes, garlic, pepper, cumin seeds, corriander leaves, curry leaves) in to a coarse paste. And keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, after it sputters add the whole red chilies , turmeric powder,and the above ground paste in to it .
- Add almost like 1 to 2 cups of water and salt.
- When its comes to complete boil remove from heat.
- Garnish with little coriander leaves.
Now its ready to serve with rice or can have it as a soup.