By lothi on Feb 27, 2010 in Health
Bitter Gourd is an excellent source of vitamins, folic acid, iron and zinc. It has got many other medicinal properties. Bitter gourd are mainly
found in Asian countries and South America. Some of the medicnal properties are:
- Bitter gourd is the best medicine for diabetes. It is said drinking bitter gourd juice in the morning in empty stomach keeps diabetes in control.
- It is helpful for easy digestion and constipation.
- The juice from the leaves is also good to prevent and reducing cough and fever.
- It also purifies the blood.
- One of the well known medicinal value of bittergourd is that it kills germs in stomach.
- Bitter gourd juice helps to build our immune system in body.
By lothi on Feb 15, 2010 in Nutritious food recipe
- 4Potatoes cubed
- 3Green chilli
- Urad dal
- Mustard seeds
- Ginger and garlic
- Cashews few
- Curry leaves few
- Garam masala
- Boil the cubed potatoes in water with a pinch of turmeric.
- Heat oil in kadai and add mustard seed. When it splutters add urad dal and hing.
- Add onion and fry for a while with few curry leaves until the raw smells goes off.
- Add finely chopped garlic and ginger.
- Then add tomatoes and green chilli’s,turmeric powder and allow it cook for a while.
- Grind few cashews and 2 green chilli and add to it.
- Now add potato, garam masala, 2 cups of water, salt and cook for about ten minutes.
- Masala is done when it becomes thick and then garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with chappathi or poori.
By lothi on Feb 10, 2010 in Beauty, Health
Dark circles under eyes are one of the common problem and it can be due to many reasons like inadequate of sleep, stress and many more. The dark circles should be treated as soon as possible to avoid it from increasing.
Ageing is one of the main factor for the formation of dark circles. As you age, the skin becomes dry and the dark circles become very prominent. Dark circles can also be formed due to lack of heathy diet . Some of the remedies are as follows.
- Keep a slice of cucumber on eyes for about half an hour and relax for a while. Even cucumber juice can be applied on the affected area.
- Potato juice can also be applied twice a day. It removes the darkness.
- Rose water acts as a good moisturizer. It can be applied all over the face before going to bed daily.Rose water is considered to be a natural coolant for the body and has been an old home remedy for generations.
- Drink 7 to 8 glasses of water and keep your body hydrated. Sometimes, there may be an excessive loss of water from the body, which could make your skin dry and dull.
- Use sun glasses when going out in sun to protect from harmful rays.
- Massage with almond oil twice a day around your eyes..
- Grind almond to a thick paste mix it with milk and apply it for 10 min. This slowly remove the darkness around the eyes.
- Eat well balanced diet. Dark circles can also be formed due to lack of healthy diet.
- Regular apply of tomato juice also reduces the dark circles.
- Make a paste of fresh mint leaves and mix with few drops of lime juice in it. Apply the mixture around the eyes for 10 to 15 minutes thrice a week. This will reduce the dark circles.
By lothi on Jan 31, 2010 in Beauty, Health
Dry scalp can be due to many factors like lack of moisture, poor diet, stress, environmental conditions and etc. Regular massaging and oiling reduces the dryness in scalp. For natural oily hair, the oil comes out the next day itself after shampooing your hair, so its better to shampoo often for oily hair which keeps your hair and scalp clean. Before shampooing, comb your hair from the scalp with wide bristles. After ever shampoo clean your comb or brush well, and then use it. Some natural remedies are as follows.
- Dry scalp occurs when there is a lack of moisture or natural oils on the scalp. Olive oil is best for dry scalps.
- It may also be due to infrequent shampooing of hair and not rinsing the hair properly. So wash and rinse hair several times in cold water. General preventive care for dandruff is to keep your scalp moistured well.
- Apply oil regularly and massage in circular motion. Heat oil and once it is warm apply it on hair and leave it on for 45 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with mixture of vinegar and water so that there is no shampoo residue left in the scalp, because the shampoo residue itself will make the scalp dry and leads to itchness.
- One of the homemade shampoo is with fenufreek seeds. Soak it overnight and grind it to thick paste and use it as shampoo after oiling the hair. It gives moisture and good texture to hair.
- Neem leaf extract stimulates circulation to the scalp, promotes hair growth and thereby reducing the irritation of scalp. Rinsing with neem water treats drandruff and hair loss.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with mixture of vinegar and water so that there is no shampoo residue left in the scalp. As the shampoo residue will lead to itchness in scalp.
- Warm coconut oil and massage gently all over the scalp. Wrap a hot steamed towel over the head so that the oil gets absorbed. Leave it on for an hour. Then apply lemon juice on your scalp. Shampoo after 15 minutes.
Note: The warm oil softens the dandruff while lemon juice cleanses your scalp. Repeat it every 2 weeks unitl dandruff is completely gone.
By lothi on Jan 25, 2010 in Nutritious food recipe
Making soup is really simple and delicious. Soup may have many health benefits and full of nutrients. Soups are warming and satisfying, adding a nourishing comfort to your day.
- Small onion
- To a boiling water add the above vegetables.
- Grind garlic, whole black pepper, small onion, cumin seeds, ginger, curry leaf to a coarse paste.
- Mix the grounded paste to the boiling veagetables.
- Once the vegetables have become soft, mash it. Add salt to your taste. Add 2 tspn lemon juice and bread cubes for extra flavour. Ready to serve.
By lothi on Jan 12, 2010 in Nutritious food recipe
Spinach or keerai is one of the nutritious greeny leaf and a heart- healthy food. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin A and C and also an excellent source of iron. It can be eaten raw as salads. Below is
a soup recipe using spinach.
- Opo squash / sorakai[in tamil] – 1
- Spinach 1 bunch
- Moong dal – 3tbspn
- Whole black pepper
- Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
- Tomato 2
- Green chilli 2
- Red chilli powder
- Garlic – 3 pod
- Curry leaf
- Clean the spinach in running water and chop them finely.
- To boiling water add tomato, garlic and moong dal.
- Meanwhile grind chopped spinach, opo squash, green chilli, black pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaf to a coarse paste . Add these to the boiled water and allow it cook in low flame for about 20 min.
- Once done mash it nicely and finely add 1 tspn ghee.
- Add salt to your taste. Garnish with some pepper and ready to serve.
By lothi on Jan 6, 2010 in Beauty, Health
Pudina leaves is also known as mint leaves. It has got both medicinal properties as well as cosmetic properties. Pudina leaves is well known for its pleasant aroma andis mainly used in cooking,
for garnishing foods. Its one of the handy herb to have in kitchen. In India, pudina leaves are used in vegetarian dish as well as in non-vegetarian dish. It adds flavour and aroma to the dish.
Here are some useful tips using pudina leaves:
Mint leaves juice mixed with a tspn of lime juice and honey treats indigestion. They are largely used in medicine for stomach disorders.
Mix mint leaves juice with ginger juice and honey and have it twice a day. This gets relief from morning sickness.
It also acts as an excellent mouth freshner. Boil the mint leaves in water and allow it to cool for a while. Gargle this water to get rid from bad breath.
In a glass of milk add few mint leaves and bring it boil and drinking it after it gets warm. This gets relief from abdominal pain.
Mint leaves juice is applied to insect bite areas, so that it gets healed quickly.
By lothi on Oct 12, 2009 in Uncategorised
Winter has started and there are too many things to keep in mind to take care of ourself. There are many common problems during winter like
cold, flu, dry skin, dehydartion, dandruff, chapped lips and many more. To get rid of these here are some useful tips.
- Keep yourself well protected while you are out of your house.
- Its better to carry water bottle of your own for drinking. Using your own water bottle may avoid flu and cold. If you see any symptoms
of cold with runny nose its better to do steam inhaltion immiediately.
- To avoid dry scalps and itchy flakes apply oil regularly once a week and leave it for whole night. Wash it next day. Do not wash often which may lead to dry scalp and itchy flakes.
- Drinking lots of water will keep your skin healthy and hydrated. Eating fresh vegetables and fruits will keep you hydrated.
- Before going to bed apply some moisturize lotion all over your body for healthy soft and supple skin.
- If your lips are chapped and dry apply some ghee. This will soften your lips and avoids from chapping.
By lothi on Sep 24, 2009 in Health, Recipes
Best way to cure cold and fever with natural or herbal ingredients is khasyam. This is one of our grandma’s home made recipe which still my mom gives us when we have cold and fever. Drinking 1 cup cures cold and fever.
Ingredients you need:
- Palm jaggery (lemon size)
- Coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dried ginger 1/2 tsp
- Cardamon 1/2 tsp
- Tea powder 1/2 tsp
Add palm jaggery into boiling water. Grind the coriander seeds, dried ginger and cardamon to fine powder and add it to the boiling water. To that add 1/2 tsp tea powder. Allow it to boil for 15 minutes. Drink it warm for best results. Before drinking filter the khasayam. For severe cold drink twice a day.
By lothi on May 17, 2009 in Beauty, Health
Sun tan is one of the major problem with the darker skins. Many of them like to have their skin tanned in summer but some wants to get rid away from sun tan. The affected areas are mainly face, neck and arms. Avoiding over exposure to sun may get rid of tan. While going out in sunny days you can can apply some sunscreen lotion like SPF 30. Protect ur exposed skin with this lotions and after returning home apply some home made facepack. By these way you can protect your skin from getting tanned.
Here are some home made remedies if you are already affected with tanned skin.
- Grind potato to a fine thick paste. Add some lemon to juice to it. Apply it on the affected areas like face, neck, and arms. Leave on until it is dry like say about 25 to 30 minutes. Then wash with cold water. Repeat this procedure twice in a week.
- Before going for a bath rub the lemon slice on the affected skin. Let it dry and take bath after half an hour. Lemon is one of the best remedy to get rid from tan.
- Apply yogurt daily on your face. This makes the skin softer and also reduces darkness. This can be applied daily. It acts as a deep cleanser.
- Squeeze some tomato juice and apply it directly on to your face and leave it for 15 minutes. This caan be done in alternate days which helps to reduce the sun tan.
- Mix grounded powdered almonds, oatmeal, plain yogurt, milk and allow it soak for few minutes. When they are mixed well apply to your face. Leave it for 30 minutes and when fully dried wash it warm water. Repeat it twice in a week.
- Aloe vera is one of the best remedy for sun tanned skin. This can be applied daily at bedtime.